Sunday, November 16, 2008

What's your opinion?

friend

A person whom one knows, likes, and trusts.
A person whom one knows; an acquaintance.
A person with whom one is allied in a struggle or cause; a comrade.
One who supports, sympathizes with, or patronizes a group, cause, or movement: friends of the clean air movement.
Friend A member of the Society of Friends; a Quaker.


Is this enough to consider a bunch of women that only keep in touch through what I call a yearly "brag" email?

You know what I am talking about....the impersonal emails you get to quickly update you about their busy lives, good and bad and maybe with a nice little question asking how you are doing? As if they really care or they would have emailed you A LONG time ago??

I tried my hardest to keep in touch with them. I even text one of them and she acted cold and pretty much wanted nothing to do with me. I emailed several of the others...even have one on my facebook cuz the others don't sign up for such things....

I gave up. I saw them about a year ago and was invited to a party for one of them this past summer. I couldn't make it because we had plans to go visit our real friends. You know the ones that remain your lives on a weekly to monthly basis.

Now the brag emails began....3 of them went out to the group of us. I ignored them. I am not responding. I gave PERSONAL emails to them in the past and got no reply. I even made a Contact sheet with everyone's information on it and updated it every several months. Half of them obviously didn't have the right emails anymore. So, they didn't take the time to even print it. I kept mine safe in my Household Notebook. Just in case they wanted to be my friend (I know sounds so middle school, but friends are important new and old.)

I am cutting my losses.

You want to be my "friend" then be one. If not, tell your other friends about your good news. If you want to email me and catch up, then do so. I would LOVE to get together...ya know like the time I wanted to get together for our 30th birthdays..remember that one?? Now we are all hitting 31....and big surprise....everyone was too "busy" till it was time for that brag email.

Brag emails, in my opinion, are a great way to update family on what you have been up too if you aren't going to be a cool blogger like me :) but don't wait to do it just one time a year.

Friends.....I need them, but it isn't a touch and go thing with me. I WANT you in my life. I will MAKE the time for you. Relationships are SO important especially to we women, except number 4 LMAO

Relationship

1.a connection, association, or involvement.
2.connection between persons by blood or marriage.
3.an emotional or other connection between people: the relationship between teachers and students.
4.a sexual involvement; affair.



Do you do brag emails? How do you feel about them?

15 comments:

"Gorgeous Mommy" said...

Did you say FACEBOOK???????? I want to be your friend! email me your info. ARedden73@comcast.net
And no, I don't do brag emails. I started a blog, and I am on Facebook to keep up with the social network. Personally, we are losing friends too..but probably for different reasons. Everyone is growing apart. We all got married at the same time, then had children at the same time, now everyone seems to be spending more time with their neighbors and kids school classmates/parents. It's a fact of life. With such busy lives, it's just EASIER to walk across the street, then pack up and take the kids to each others houses..sad but true.

"Gorgeous Mommy" said...

I also like how you listed your "To Do" list to help hold yourself accountable! Cute idea.

Hilary said...

Okay... I am admitting... I am a bragger BUT here is why...
Leo's family does next to NOTHING to keep up with our children. As a matter of fact, his father has NEVER come to one of the kid's birthday parties. BUT, if I do not email to remind him to look at the blog... he will "reprimand" me. If I only send the updates to him, he will say that I am "picking on him" to remind him to read. Actually, now that I think about it... they are more update emails. I'm sorry, Lisha, I hope I haven't upset you with those type of emails. I just hate being so far away from you guys and I miss you and Mary so much!

Cameron said...

I know what you mean, Lisha. I love the ones I get from people who don't even care to stay in touch throughout the year but will send you their "family" update at Christmas with a picture. I love the idea but if I have not talked to that person in a WHOLE year, I would not send the update to them one time a year. I know we all have busy lives but it hurts either way when you are the one trying to keep everyone together and it doesn't work. I understand you wanting to cut your losses.

H~ in no way did Lisha mean your email updates. You give updates all the time and she is referring to people (her past friends) that just write once a year with how AWESOME their life is...the "look at me" type of update. We like keeping in touch with you and miss you too so update away. We update in our blogs too. (= She is DEFINITELY not upset with you. I heard about this "group" she is talking about last week. So, it definitely is not about you.

Hang in there, Lisha. You will know who your TRUE friends are in life. They will keep in touch no matter what. My best friend from 8th grade is ALWAYS here for me but the other ones have fallen by the way side. It is sad, I agree but I guess a part of life.

Lisha said...

Gorgeous Mommy, you said it! YOU SPOKE TO ME GIRL! It is about growing apart to an extent. Some of live a distance apart. However, I am so READY to just let it go... brag emails and all! Just let go of the ties....b/c my friends now and neighbors are my FAVES :) *And my blogger friends* hehehehe You guys are going to make me accountable for that list! HA!! I HAVE to get some stuff done around here!

Hilary~ I love your emails and you do them weekly or biweekly dorko :) So I don't see them as bragging. I see them as keeping in touch...and you give it all girl the good the bad and the ugly! I miss you too! Especially our fun Hot Mama Nites Out! I never laughed so hard!

Mary~ Thanks girl!! You are a best friend I will never part with... whether or not my hubby wins this battle of moving back to PA or not!

Hilary said...

Gosh... Geee... I love you all, too! I worry about this stuff (because I am so freakin' tired I take everything to heart... must... get... sleep).
Lisha, this is pretty much why I am not Godmother to those boys anymore... I have been demoted to enemy, I suppose. I was tired of the same stuff and I spoke up about it. I was sick of hearing how "Pollyanna" the life was that she was leading and then when the boys were in the hospital... NOTHING. THEN... I was told how much everyone else did for her... two words for her "SHUT UP!"
Oh.. and tell Shane... if I can find something good about Illinois and all this corn... he can CERTAINLY find something good about West Virginia... tee hee hee

Cameron said...

YOU ARE NOT MOVING!!!! SO, THERE!

Lisha said...

First of all, Hilary your "brag" email you just sent to me was hilarious??? I would love to post it hahahhahahah You cracked me up!

And Mary...once I get him teaching here he won't wanna leave!! Then I WIN!!!

Cameron said...

WOMEN ALWAYS WIN!!!! LOL

Jen said...

I usually only get brag letters at Christmas time. And usually its only from family. I laugh when I get them because it seems like a competition on who's life seems to be better than someone elses.

Hilary said...

Go ahead... post away!

Staci said...

I know whhat you mean... I have a "friend" whom I haven't spoken to in quite some time. My emails have gone unanswered, (she moved and I was requesting new addy) etc. A few weeks ago, a magazine sub comes for Anthony from her and her family.... Super nice, but now I feel like Sh!T because I did opt send her kids anything...

Staci said...

I have to learn to proof read...geesh!

supah ~d said...

There are seasons and reasons for friends and it's okay to let go lish. ;)

I try real hard not to have expectations anymore, especially with friends who have let me down in the past. It is those people who I don't invest a lot in, but keep my door open.. happy to hear that they are doing well etc. Now.. brag emails.. not so sure. I don't mind a hello how are you... but.. a GROUP email.. blah.

SEASONS AND reasons. :)

Tammi said...

I enjoyed reading your blog! I don't know how I cam to stumble on it but I am glad I did. I am with you on the friendship thing! I never have done or even heard of a brag email LOL. But it has taken me until now 36 years old to weed through the "fake" friends and the real ones...I finally have a bunch of real friends and for the first time I am able to really let go of the fake ones...why I held on to them for so long is the question! I would love to be your real friend, is it the only kind of friend I know how to be :)