Monday, December 15, 2008

Delicious Gobs

Growing up in South Central Pennsylvania...well, sorta....western too (insert proud smile) was quite quiet and fairly peaceful, and good recipes were easy to come by! My family, both sides, knew how to cook and bake!


With all the great food, there is one thing that will always remember and cherish from my childhood and adulthood. They are called Gobs (click on here). They were orginated by the Pennsylvania Dutch. Most people know them as whoopie pies, but believe me they are NOT the same. Whoopie Pies are made with marshmallow creme and Gobs are made with a yummy icing. The moister the Gob the better.





I have had several recipes over the years and it is just a matter of opinion of what you like best.


I have found that my hubby's Grandmother had found one of the best recipes. I will post it below. They are DELICIOUS and moist.


My grandfather also has a delicious recipe for them as well....I will have to track that one down or my mom will have to post it cuz I know she has it to share.




GOBS


Cookie:

2 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg and 1 egg yolk (cream) save the egg white
1 cup sour milk
1 tsp of baking soda in 1 cup boiling water

Mix together and add dry ingredients:

4 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 Cup cocoa


Mix together and drop by the teaspoons (like cookies) on a baking sheet. I used parchment paper to keep them from sticking. Bake them for about 8-10 mins or until your liking at 375 degrees F. Becareful to not overbake them.


As they are baking, make filling.

Filling:

1. Beat 1 egg white with pinch of salt
2. Add to 1 cup sugar, 3/4 cup canned condensed milk, 1 cup shortening, and 2 tsp. vanilla.
3. Beat until smooth
4. Spread filling between the cookies.
5. Then wrap them individually with plastic wrap.

They freeze wonderfully!!


I hope you enjoy these! They are delightful!
Have you ever had one?? What did you think??

No comments: