Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Enough already...

What is with the stereotypes of people in wild and wonderful West Virginia. This has been brewing in my mind for a couple years but this forward set me off....now don't get me wrong, I can laugh about it, but I feel for the real rednecks in this state I now call home.

Here's the forward (now it is funny, but it could be in reference to ANY redneck in this country, not just good ol' WV):

Dearest Redneck Son,

I'm writing this slow because I know you can't read fast. We don't live where we did when you left home. Your dad read in the newspaper that most accidents happen within 20 miles of your home, so we moved.

I won't be able to send you the address because the last West Virginia family that lived here took the house numbers when they moved so they wouldn't have to change their address.

This place is really nice. It even has a washing machine. I'm not sure about it. I put a load of clothes in and pulled the chain. We haven't seen them since.

The weather isn't bad here. It only rained twice last week; the first time for three days and20the second time for four days.=0 D

About that coat you wanted me to send; your Unc Billy Bob said it would be too heavy to send in the mail with the buttons on, so we cut them off and put them in the pockets.

Bubba locked his keys in the car yesterday. We were really worried because it took him two hours to get me and your father out.

Your sister had a baby this morning, but I haven't found out what it is yet so I don't know if you are an aunt or uncle.

Uncle Bobby Ray fell into a whiskey vat last week. Some men tried to pull him out but he fought them off and drowned. We had him cremated, he burned for a day and a half..

Three of your friends went off a bridge in a pickup truck. Butch was driving. He rolled down the window and swam to safety. Your other two friends were in the back. They drowned because they couldn't get the tailgate down!

There isn't much more news at this time. Nothing much out of the normal has happened.

Your Favorite Aunt,
MOM



Now that is funny. It really freaking is. I cracked up as I read it.

Because there are are people in this world that are really THIS dumb and we can laugh about it, but seriously people the WV jokes are getting old.

Where I live in WV, not ALL people are like this, actually the majority of people are NOT like this. I know in the deeper parts of WV and other Mid-Western states, Southern states, Kentucky, you name it...there are "rednecks". So, I wanted a definition of what a redneck actually is:

One definition I found says this:

redneck definition
☆ red·neck (red′nek′)
noun
Slang a poor, white, rural Southerner, often, specif., one regarded as ignorant, bigoted, violent, etc.: often a derogatory term
Etymology: from the characteristic sunburned neck acquired in the fields by farm laborers

also:

redneck noun
(context, slang) An uneducated, unsophisticated, or poor white person, typically used to describe residents of the rural Southern US.

I know where I live, rednecks are few and far inbetween. Now, we do have some "White trash" or WT we call them.

white trash
–noun Slang: Disparaging and Offensive.
1.a member of the class of poor whites, esp. in the southern U.S.
2. poor whites collectively

Just so you know...many of us are now falling in the "White Trash" definition thanks to the economy, so you better watch what you say before you turn into one. But I have to admit, people who are WT do not bother me unless they are doing *THIS* or talk down on education and start talking like your kids do not need it and you plant negative thoughts about education into your child's head. You do that....and you have lost all respect from me. Other than that, I have met some really great "rednecks and WT" so, please be kind to your fellow WVians :)

We really are wild and wonderful.

So thank you to the state of WV for treating my family well for the past 9 years living here. I never thought in a million years that I would be here that long but it has given us opportunities, wonderful friends, a beautiful home in a beautiful golf community. So, thank you PA the state I grew up in, the state I had a wondeful childhood in, the state I got my Bachelors degree in, but no thank you for the lack of opportunities to come back and get a job and raise my family. I think we can stay here for awhile!

11 comments:

Staci said...

great post!!! I know just what you mean! While its funny hahaha its so annoying. Like ENOUGH already! geesh! you can find peeps like that everywhere... not just WV! :)

Jen said...

Three of your friends went off a bridge in a pickup truck. Butch was driving. He rolled down the window and swam to safety. Your other two friends were in the back. They drowned because they couldn't get the tailgate down!

That's funny!!! :)

Tracy said...

alicia i hope your not referring to me as i am always giving comebacks to the rude comments shane says about new jersey......i dont know why you let it bother you.....it never bothers me what shane says because i know its not true (and even if it was - which its not) i love where i live....and that's all that matters......its all in good fun!!!

Liz said...

I can see how that might get annoying after a while. I find it obnoxious when I get all the male bashing ones. They are funny but drive me nuts!

MsPulp said...

Being a WV native, I can totally relate. I have heard every stupid joke known to man.
The funny thing is, I have seen far more rednecks in Western PA than I ever did living in Charleston, WV.
'Nuf said.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I've lived in four different states and traveled quite a bit in my lifetime and let me tell you, there are rude, trashy people everywhere. WV actually has some of the friendliest people of anywhere I've been. People will smile at you here, or stop to let you out in traffic, or chit chat with you in the cereal aisle at the store.

Courtney said...

I'm from northeastern PA. The town I grew up in is about the size of my armpit...and overflowing with rednecks and white trash. Ok, so mostly white trash...but I can relate! I don't find too many rednecks up here...but there is a never-ending supply of WT!

Lisha said...

OMG NO WAY TRACY!! We joke and that is funny, just like this joke. It's funny as shit. I am talking about people who actually THINK WV has nothing but rednecks. The stereotypes are just annoying. As bad as blonde jokes. They just get annoying.

Casey (EcOnomical Mom) said...

You provide me with such great humor. And the forward is funny! Thank you for making me laugh. I needed it.

Mary said...

Yeah...blonde jokes and women jokes get to me. It's the same idea. Just laugh and know down deep that people who have to bash others are really insecure themselves!!!

That Girl said...

Hi, stopping by from Staci's blog. I lived in WV for 6 years and now live in VA. I still hate WV jokes. You are right, you can find trashy people/rednecks anywhere.