Monday, February 9, 2009

I need your creative ideas...

I am in desperate need of your creative ideas. No, not a craft idea, not a kid's art idea, not how to get a stain out, or a gift idea.....


BUT creative ideas on how to convince my husband that now is the best time to get pregnant. I don't have to convince him that we should have three, because he already is on the same page with me on that. I just need him to see that it is time.

Most of you know how much we really want a third child and how much I have the desire to start. DO NOT TELL HIM (for those of you who see/talk to him)!

I am trying to convince him. I refuse to trick him into it or do it without his permission, but want him to see how the timing is right.

Here are the details:
  • I have a 5 year old who will turn 6 in April.
  • I have a 2 year old who will turn 3 in May.
  • I want to go back to work, but hubby wants me home another year with our daughter.
  • I worry about the economy and getting a job. He knows that people will always need services like babysitting, so I can continue to do that to make some extra money to pay the bills.
  • He wants me to go back to work in 2 years and take off one year with the baby...so work 2009 stay home, work school year of 2010-2111 get pregnant and stay home one year with the baby when she is born. Then go back to work.
  • I am thinking....get pregnant now and have the baby and stay home 2 years and go back to work for good...no more taking off. To me, that makes more sense. But I need to convince him of that.

How do I do that?? He is a planner. HELP!!

Should I convince the kids first and have them talk about it a lot??
Draw up a 5 year plan?
Make a financial chart?
Do I promise that we can make the baby's sex a surprise like he wants and promise he can name he/she?





BABY Pictures, Images and Photos

13 comments:

Mama Krit said...

hmmm... that's a tricky one. How about show him this post!?

You should totally do a 5 year plan with a budget and a write up. Take it to Kinkos and they will spiral bind it for only $3. At the very least it will crack him up how much effort you put into it. And first you get him to laugh, then you get him to think. Just bring it up as sweetly as you can and have a good old fashioned heart to heart. Maybe he just needs to know how much you really care about this?

Cameron said...

Mama Krit has a good idea! This is a tough one...persuasion. I am not sure if he reads this blog or not but a few weeks back he brought this subject up around me (oh I remember now, when he came over to see Amy's baby). Someone said, "You're next." and he was like, "In a few years." When I asked why, he said he likes the idea of having them spaced out so that he can have Noah old enough to babysit or Sydney isn't requiring as much attention (as 2 and 3 year old do). I can see your point on not wanting to keep starting and stopping work. That takes a toll especially since you are in the swing of being at home and then it is so hard to restart work and once you get situated, it sucks to stop altogether again. I am not so sure I would get the kids asking for another brother or sister. I am not sure how he would like that because kids don't know when to shut it off. Do a financial map since we all know a third is more money (even with kids clothes from both sexes waiting for him/her). Then show him your plan. Maybe it will be enough to push him over the edge. I agree with the backdooring issue. That is not a good way to have a baby. I wish you luck though. I know how badly you want one now.

Sara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sara said...

If finances are his main concern, then it would be beneficial to prepare a chart and budget showing him exactly how a third child is possible right now. I would just sit down and discuss the subject again. Let him know exactly how important it is to you. Keep the lines of communication open. Is it possible that the two of you could meet in the middle and compromise on the timing? Best of luck with this decision!

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I would just tell him all your thoughts you've laid out here. It sounds reasonable enough to me.

Staci said...

tough one! yowsers..... I don't know how I would go about it... Like Mary said, it would be digfficult to keep starting and stopping work. I would map out the finances, tell him what you feel, then I'd flush the pills down the toiley (just kidding on the last one) Seriously though, just talk to him about it! That is your best bet!

Good Gals Inc said...

This is a tough one!!!

Lisha said...

You guys are awesome! I made up my mind. I am going to write up a 5 year plan...budget and work plan and sit down with him pour my heart out (without tears) cuz he will be turned off by the "emotionalness" of it. And then pull out the plan. BAM! just like that...then I will be back to post how it went. I will have to get this done in the next few days. I can't take it anymore!!

MsPulp said...

I have an idea. Send the kids to the babysitters. Make him dinner and have lots of margaritas -- you will need Tequila, not wine. Work your magic, then just tell him, "okay, we're going to make another baby - spontaneously, K?"
How can he refuse? Once you know it's done, how can he be anything but overjoyed?
Now go get some new lingere!!
I AM serious, you know...

Jen said...

I ditto what everyone else has said.

Off to catch up on the rest of my missed blogs :(

Johnnie Avocado said...

Don't talk to the kids and have them "talk about it". Men are fixers and supporters. We don't like feeling like we were manipulated, and when discovering it, will do that opposite to prove that we can. I think you should hit up his great fathering, role model, etc. But to tell you the truth, I wouldn't have kids right now.

Sara said...

I can't wait for the update. Be sure to come back and post.

Cameron said...

I was just checking in to see if you had your talk yet? And I am also trying to surpass Staci on the top commentor. (=