Thursday, February 12, 2009

No sleep on Caledonia...

I fell asleep at 11:30 pm last night only to awake at 1:00ish am to the strong winds that sounded like my house was falling down. My stomach started to cramp in worry because I could hear shingles stripping from our roof.....then by 3:00 am the banging started.



I told hubby....his advice: There's nothing you can do about it.



Well, that didn't help me. I went and looked out every window upstairs to see if I could see what was banging. I prayed SO hard that it would not be expensive damage.



Finally, in the spare bedroom I peered out to see the gutter which runs the back length of my house hanging at the middle. It hung from the top to my bottom windows and was banging against my house and my breakfast nook windows. I kept thinking they were going to break them. I moved the table away just in case.



BANG BANG BANG BANG



all effin night....I kept praying and praying....finally by 5:30 am God answered my prayers. The gutter blew upward and tucked behind a pipe vent thingy and got stuck. So no more banging. I finally fell asleep from 5:30 till 6:10 when another huge gust blew through and something flew off either my house or a neighbors and hit the outside wall of my bedroom. It was loud enough it woke my daughter (who managed to sleep through the banging outside her bedroom window all night). I cuddled with her for 5 mins and told her it was the wind. Put her back in her bed, put on my sneakers and ran outside.



Verdict: There goes my income tax return we were going to use to do our flooring and our summer vacation. I now have to replace the gutter across the back, a ton of shingles, and possibly replace a vent on the roof.

I am not a happy homeowner right now. Tis life.

Now I am preparing myself to take 4 kids to the doctor's office. Wish me luck!

12 comments:

Staci said...

I hope its an EASY and inexpensive fix.... I know how you were looking forward to getting new floors! Good luck at the doctors, is one of the kiddos sick or is it a well check? I hope a well check!
ps I am pumped I am a top commenter! I want that box too! :)

Sara said...

We have damage as well. :( The flashing underneath our porch is hanging and other pieces are laying in the yard. I'll be heading out soon to inspect and see if we have other damage. I was up ALL night and couldn't sleep. I thought for sure our house was going to blow away!
I hope your repairs are inexpensive and that you're still able to get your new floors. THINK POSITIVE! Good luck at the doctor. :)

Kristie R said...

I hate when things so bang in the night and you have no idea what you are going to see when the sun comes up...hope the damage isn't too costly

Kelly said...

I'm right there with you girls. I haven't been to bed since 3:30 this morning. I'm glad I didn't stay for the mom's thing at open gym. I'd be one CRANKY person today if I had to endure more pain from working out. Good luck at the doctors office.

Cameron said...

Last night was ridiculous. I was up all night too. Cary had to run into work to drop off plans (his whole class has a stomach virus and he has it now too) and he did not get back till late and so I was trying to stay up to make sure he got home ok. Then the wind woke me and I could not go back to sleep. I inspected outside too thru every window. Kept checking in on Cameron. Logged into my phone to check update on weather only to find we had a fire warning too. So, that blew me ever trying to get back to bed. We even put the garbage back in the garage at 4:30am. Cary was like Shane too...he said, if you don't try to get some sleep, you never will. He was right. My ARS is whooped today. I am so sorry you had damage. I have not had a chance to really inspect. It sounded like every window was going to break last night. Can it be covered under insurance? I could have taken the kids while you went to the doctors with one of them? I hope no one is sick. Hang in there and hope for a small estimate. I know how much you want those floors.

MsPulp said...

That stinks! Ditton on the wind. I had to drag my amigos out of bed and head to the basement for a while. I never slept all night, doing the window checking thing, too. It's still windy here!!
I hope you're just going for well visits...Good Luck!

Goosie and Boomer Bowtique said...

I hope the damage isn't too expensive for you AT ALL! I can sympathize with you when it comes to the wind! I'm praying for a cheap repair bill!!!

Jen said...

I HATE WIND!!!! Thankfully, we have no damage. Just a bunch of unclaimed trash cans behind our house!

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Is it something your homeowner's insurance would cover? Or cheaper to just do it yourself?

I'm taking my two to their well child check up today too!

Liz said...

I hope it doesn't cost too much and you are able to take a summer vacation!! We always lose shingles when it gets really windy and when we got home from preschool today I collected parts of the kids playhouse that was blown all over the place!

Mama Krit said...

oh man! Life never lets you get ahead huh? It always seems like one thing after another. BUT at least you can be thankful you have a home that needs fixing. :)

Casey (EcOnomical Mom) said...

Don't fret too much. Check with your homeowners insurance before replacing anything yourself.