Friday, February 20, 2009

Really tasty Snickerdoodles

During my childhood, I was so spoiled by having my grandmother live next door to me. We usually crashed our bikes closer to her house than our own and she would soak your boo boos in Epson salts and all along you wished you crashed closer to your Mommy where she would clean it gently and kiss it better. But she was really good at mixing up some baking soda and water and lathering up your bee stings to ooze the sting. The butt whooping for climbing up on the roof with my grandfather is one I will never forget! lol.



She would also spoil us with some of THE best recipes in the world. Some of my favorites were: Her dill pickles, her jams, pies especially Sho Fly Pie, her homemade wheat bread (I would watch her in AW with how she would move her hands to knead the dough. She did it the REAL way, no bread ovens for her), molasses and snickerdoodle cookies, and many others. She was sweet in life and in the kitchen.



When she moved to the nursing home, many of her recipes and cookbooks were taken by her daughters and I will never see those recipes!! And many of her recipes are just in her head...hidden away forever. But there is one thing I will never forget and that is how they taste. So when I find a recipe that is close to hers (minus the love she put into it) I get SO excited!



I found this recipe from a blog called Molly Irwin 2009* and I found her from The Crafty Crow. It is a FABULOUS recipe. She has pictures of the cookies if you have never had them! In fact, I am sitting here dipping them in hot tea as I type.



Here is her recipe, but make sure you stop by her blog. Both of the linked ones above have great ideas and crafts for your kids! Be sure to check it out!



snickerdoodles


2 sticks unsalted butter (softened)
1 + 1/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt

for dredging:
1/4 cup sugar, mixed with 4 tsp. cinnamon



Bake at 350, 8-11 minutes on parchment lined sheets

No comments: