Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Sad start to my day....

I laid in bed last night contemplating whether I should just sit up, open up my laptop, and start writing about nothing....literally nothing.

I read tons of blogs on a weekly basis and always wonder how people can lead such exciting lives. I can't even use a thousand adjectives to MAKE my life seem more exciting and make it SOUND more than ordinary.

I started this blog mainly to keep myself sane during my stay-at-home adventure. It became my area where I could say what I wanted, post what pictures I wanted too (even if I am "naked" in the tub...oh HEAVEN forbid), and enjoy the ups and downs of motherhood. But most days I just sit and look at this blank screen wishing just SOMETHING ANYTHING exciting would happen to me...

You see I want something EXCITING and POSITIVE....not what occurred this morning.

My usual morning consists of the following and VERY routinely occurs:

  1. 6:15: Awake, packing Noah's lunch, kiss hubby goodbye
  2. 6:30: First child I watch arrives, put her on couch, I lay down for an hour drifting in and out of sleep.
  3. 7:30 Cell alarm goes off, I get up, wake Noah, get him dressed, get me dressed, make him breakfast
  4. 7:45: Second child I watch arrives, Get on shoes, coats, hats, backpack and lunch...
  5. 7:55 Head out the door to the bus stop with second child in tow and dog and Noah. First child I watch still sleeping, and Syd still sleeping,
  6. 8:00: Back in house, warm up check email and blogs for 15 mins

Well, there is something to be said about routine......Routine is VERY comfortable and I think I would rather have routine and ordinary.

My routine was interrupted this morning. Thank goodness second child stayed home because it made things easier to deal with.

I went upstairs at 7:35 to get dressed. As soon as I got done, I heard a HORRIBLE SHRIEKING crying sound outside the front of my house. You know how you just know something is very very wrong?? I had that feeling. I rushed to my bedroom window and looked out on the road and around the neighbors' yards, I saw nothing. Just as I was about to go on with my routine, I heard it again, but this time it directed my eyes to the yard between my house and my neighbor's house. There was an animal laying there in the snow crying a terrible cry.....

I ran downstairs and threw on my shoes and darted outside. I went closer and it was a beautiful white cat laying in the snow. She just peered up with a heartbreaking cry and sky blue eyes. I was so afraid to touch her because you never know what he/she might have or what was wrong.

I ran over to Amy's house and knocked on her door. I asked her what I should do because I don't have the money to rush a cat to the vet and I didn't recognize the cat. She advised me to call animal control. After my fingers flew through the yellow pages for Animal Control's number I called a number I thought was them. They said they don't deal with that and I should call 911. So I did....I know right?? I had no idea I was could do that for an animal.

I called 911, the woman was WONDERFUL, she was so caring and contacted Animal Control for me. She sincerely worried and probably more for the cat than someone who was in an accident *chuckle*. Somewhere in here I quickly got Noah dressed, shoes, coat, hat, gloves, backpack, and lunch. He was so worried and said....(this got me this morning...got me good) "Mommy this is why I want to be an animal doctor." I said, "You will be wonderful at it honey!" He was so worried about the cat....it broke my heart over again....

I went back outside with an old beach towel. The cat had rolled down into the ditch. She couldn't move her back legs and they appearted to be wrapped up beside her body. I looked around and noticed my neighbor had her car parked outside and thought maybe the cat was under the car trying to stay warm and when she backed out, the cat tried to jump out, and was hit on the back legs. Or she was hit on the road in front of her. I couldn't figure it out. All I knew was this cat was suffering and there was nothing I could do at this point but wait.

My friend/neighbor Debra was taking her daughter to the bus stop and stopped to see what was going on. She jumped out and offered to help. I got another towel and she helped me wrap up the cat a second time....the cat just cried and cried in pain.....

Debra went to her house, got a box, and she and I lifted the cat off the snow. She was frozen to the snow. That was all we could do till Animal Control got there.

30 mins later, Animal control came. The lady was wonderful. She was so caring as well. She picked up the box and when the cat cried, she called it baby......the tears kept coming and coming. She was taking the cat back to her office...and I can't think about anything after...but hopefully the cat will be out of pain.

What gets me is this poor cat was outside in this cold snowy weather. I know there are strays, outside cats (which I am sorry outside cats should be taken responsibilty for...there are too many "outside" cats.), or cats who are "inside" cats who escape. However, in my opinion only........no offenses please.....unless you have a barn or shed for a cat to go when it is cold outside, you should not have an "outside" cat. If you have a pet, you should care for your pet. Your pet is a living creature that needs to be cared for. This cat did not have a thick "outside" cat fur, no collar, and was beautiful. She was trying to stay warm and had NO place to go. My heart was broken this morning.

It only reminded me why I do not get animals that I can't care for. I have one dog because that is all I am able to care for at this time. Cats are beautiful animals that still need to be cared for and loved....regardless of what people say. Outside smoutside cat.....it was freaking cold last night. No pet should have been outside....

Now if I could actually post something on our crappy Stonebridge page I would, but there is no message board.....friends/neighbors, if you know anyone who is missing a cream cat with orange ears and blue eyes....have them call me.

PS this is not the cat...just a picture of a sweet little kitty....back to crying...bye guys....

photography Pictures, Images and Photos

9 comments:

Courtney said...

I feel the same exact way. 'Nuff said.

P.S. Hope your day is looking brighter!

Lisha said...

Thanks Courtney...I feel better now that someone who knows what to do has her.....but I am heart broken....

Sara said...

Poor cat! I hope that the cat is no longer suffering. I'm sorry that you're day began on such a sad note.

Mary said...

Thankfully you were there and heard her and helped. I can't imagine her suffering there all day. You did what you could and best of all you saw that passion in your son. Have a better day.
mom

Cameron said...

It is so so sad. Listening to you tell me that story on the phone broke my heart too. I would have been so upset too. Noah is so sweet and caring for animals. I KNOW that will be the first thing out of his mouth when he gets off the bus. I hope whatever ended up happening to the cat that he/she is not suffering. It would be nice if they could fix her. I hope your day got better...actually I know it did, since you were sitting on my couch...LOL....how much better can it get? HEHEHEHEHE
Hang in there...you did the best thing possible for that cat and to think it could have been there all day.

Goosie and Boomer Bowtique said...

You are wonderful, Lisha! So many people would have just ignored the situation and not have had the intiative to take care of the cat!
Noah certainly gets his compassion for others (human or animal) through you!
I hope the day was brighter and tomorrow morning will be much easier :).

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Thank goodness you were there to make the appropriate phone calls and get the help that was needed. My heart goes out to that sweet kitty too.

Casey said...

My heart goes out to you!! I'd be bawling all day too.
I'm sorry you had such a bad start to your day. Hopefully it got better.

Staci said...

poor kitty! I am glad you heard him... I hope he is okay...