Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I did it again...

I did it again...I screwed up.

Sydney got a new bike from us for her birthday and a cute little helmet. She has been practicing her peddling techniques through the house and she has gotten so good she has taken on the driveway. After she has mastered that, I thought I would venture out with her on our community road.

Today I pushed the little one I babysit in the stroller along side my girl in her big girl Barbie bike. She was doing so well all the way around the circle by our house. So we come to the small hill heading down toward our house and she picked up too much speed. She freaked out and tumbled over. The back of her head it the ground and bounced!! Thank God she had her helmet on because the only thing it did was scare her. She had no cuts or scratches, but just trembled from the scare.

I picked her up but she didn't want to get back on the bike. *Side note* My son who is 6 fell off his bike at 4 and rarely gets on it...I am SO afraid Syd will do the same.

She LOVES her bike. :(

I went upstairs and read her a book. After the book, I talked to her about how it was Mommy's fault because I should have held on, so she wouldn't go down the hill so fast. I said, "I'm a bad Mommy. Mommy will hold on tonight when we ride. No more falling down." She said, "I otay Mommy. I no fall Mommy." So, I pray that she will get back on tonight and I promise to stand by her side.

The theory of your children should wear helmets was proven today. Keep those helmets on. The force her head would have taken to the asphalt would have sent us to the ER. But because of that helmet, she is fine.

But I still feel terrible. I should have seen it coming.

9 comments:

Staci said...

Don't be so hard on yourself girl!!! I am glad she is okay! Miss Sydney will be a bike riding diva in no time!!! Did she get back on last night?

Sara said...

Don't beat yourself up, Lisha! She'll be a pro in no time.

That Girl said...

Oh no, that made me wince! Poor baby girl but it totally wasnt your fault. I hope she hopped right back on last night.

Cameron said...

Sydney is a tough cookie. She will get back on and love every minute of it. You are not a terrible mommy (just like Johnny Advocodo bike entry). Accidents happen. YAY for the helmet. They truly are life savers.

Lori said...

Don't beat yourself up! You're a mom, not a super hero! You can't be everywhere, seeing into the future as to what might happen. You made sure she had a helmet on, that's what's most important.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

When we were little, helmets weren't a required item. My [ex] brother got many, many stitches. You just do the best you can do and they'll be fine. {{{Hugs}}}

Lisha said...

Thank you guys!! SHe actually got right back on that night and told me that she won't fall anymore lol. I am so proud of her determination!!!

Lisha said...

Evil Twin's Wife: I hear ya! I don't know how my brothers and I never ended up brain dead after some of the accidents we had on our bikes. I have a huge scar on my knee to prove it lol.

Johnnie Avocado said...

Remember, I just talked about this happening to Frodo. So scary. Luckily, she had the helmut.