Tuesday, December 22, 2009

My moment. My venting moment.

As most of you know and some are figuring out, I am a pretty easy-going, relaxed person with a good sense of humor. There are very few things in life that upset me...and usually the things that do are stupid "little" things that most would agree are annoying....like not using turn signals, cleaning the snow off your car before driving, liars, etc. etc. But there is one thing that has really pushed my buttons since college.

I haven't told many people about this and most people do not understand, but I will try to explain as much as I can to get you to understand. You may really understand if you can answer yes to any of these questions.

Have you ever had someone that looks like you?
Are you from the same area?
Do you share the same last name and are not related?
Did you go the same college?
Did you have the same major?
Did you attempt to be friends with this person?
Did you allow this person to move in with you and your boyfriend/girlfriend to help them out?
Did the relationship go sour for one reason or another?

Creepy huh? That would be me. I have a "twin", so some people say. I don't think we look that much alike, and neither does my mother. And frankly that is all that matters at this point. It is bizarre and I can't help but wonder if God did this for a reason. I am still waiting for that reason.

We both have this in common, which as I type it, it is quite weird:
  • We both graduated from high school the same year.
  • We both have the same maiden name, yet not related.
  • We both went to the same college.
  • We both had the same major.
  • We had similar classes.
  • We were connected through my hubby who went to the same high school as her.
  • We were built similar in college.
  • We were mistaken in college as the same person, which almost landed me getting her "D" in a class instead of my "A".
  • We lived together for a year in college.

Yet we are SO different:
  • We went to different high schools, but close by.
  • I have natural blonde hair, hers is darker.
  • She has greenish eyes, mine are blue, yet both are what I call.."squinty" when we smile.
  • And among many other differences, which I don't need to mention, it is enough to say, WE ARE DIFFERENT PEOPLE. WE ARE NOT TWINS.

One reason I do not move back home is frankly, I get sick of going to the small town where I am constantly mistaken as her or questioned, because as far as I know she still lives there. This summer I went to a friend's wedding and an old friend of my mothers and the mother of the boy my twin dated saw me and asked me if I was HER. I was fuming. This woman has seen me over and over again as ME MYSELF AND I and you would think she would know that I was not the girl who dated her son. I politely told her who I was, she apologized, and so........I drank to it.

I talked to my mom about this today and she really helped me relax and see what was important. The more I talked to her the better I felt. I can't explain well enough why it bothers me. I think it is just because I am who I am, I think I make myself known for who I am, and I want people to recognize that. I guess I just need to quit worrying about what the people back in the small town think and move on down here. This is where I get to be myself and not be mistaken for someone else.

It may sound immature and childish, but having years of this and people in college actually tell you after they realize you aren't her, that they are so glad because they didn't like her and list the reasons, you just want to look like someone else...anyone else. So stupid or not, its my problem, its the one and only thing on my Really Big Crappy List of Things that annoys me.

So I thank you for listening to my venting. I feel better now that I got it out. It has been a long time in waiting.

I would post a picture from college of the 2 of us, but I don't want to put her picture out there without her permission....because you all know me. Even when it bothers me, I still care. Gosh, she probably feels the same way!

God bless you my wonderful, loyal bloggers. I am slowly getting back on here and checking your blogs once and awhile. I miss them so much. They bring back some humor and creative ideas to my life. The part of staying home I truly miss the most (well, being with my daughter goes up there too lol). Merry Christmas guys!

5 comments:

Sara said...

It's almost unbelievable that this case of "mistaken identity" continues after so many years. I've missed reading your blog posts. Love you girl!

Anonymous said...

[url=http://bariossetos.net/][img]http://bariossetos.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]microsoft network software, [url=http://vonmertoes.net/]strengths and weaknesses of windows xp[/url]
[url=http://bariossetos.net/][/url] discount microsoft office home and student discount software office 2007
recording software to buy [url=http://vonmertoes.net/]buy scrabble software[/url] buying photoshop software
[url=http://bariossetos.net/]online software resellers[/url] microsoft website software
[url=http://hopresovees.net/]windows software to buy[/url] university software discount
www educational software com [url=http://hopresovees.net/]sales and service software[/b]

Evil Twin's Wife said...

That is bizarre.

I hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Cameron said...

My grandma use to say that everyone in life has a twin whether we know it or not. In your case, you have had to live near yours. Your personality is what makes you, YOU! And there is no doubt in my mind that this chico does NOT have your personality. So, like you said, let it go and be the person that you are since that is who we all love and enjoy!

Merry Christmas!

PS...At least she wasn't doing the SINGLE WHITE FEMALE on you. For a moment I thought I was going to read about this chick who reinvents herself to be you. That would be doubly creepy! I think we all know some of those peeps who want to be like us or create problems similar to our own....WEIRD!!! (;

ElroyTLanphear said...

nice blog.....................................................